Export Certification to the European Union (EU)

The NOAA Seafood Inspection Program is the competent authority within the U.S. Government for issuance of certain certificates required for export of fish and fishery products to the European Union (EU).  The program offers three documents required for export to the European Union.  They are:

Under EU regulations, an export health certificate is required as well as one of the two catch documents.  

EU Export Health Certificates

The EU export health certificate is required by the EU Directorate-General for Health and Consumer Protection and attests to the safety of fish and fishery -- both wild and aquaculture -- products shipped to the EU.   

NOTE: Export certificates must be requested and issued prior to shipment of product.

For more information:

Composite Product Guidance

Asked Questions about the changeover of the health certificate program from FDA to NOAA that took place in June 2009

Procedures to request EU Health Certification

U.S. Commercial Service Guide for How to Export to the EU

Certification Checklist

2012 Boston Seafood Show Presentation: "Exporting Seafood to the European Union"
Stephane Vrignaud

EU IUU Regulation: Export Catch Documents

The EU catch document is required by the EU Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries under European Commission (EC) Regulation 1005/2008 ("the IUU Regulation") to prevent, deter, and eliminate IUU fishing. 

To meet the EU requirements for products harvested on or after January 1, 2010, the NOAA Seafood Inspection Program issues a catch document titled the, “United States attestation in accordance with Council Regulation (EC) No. 1005/2008 for Products Caught by U.S-Flagged Vessels” to certify that the items in the shipment were caught by U.S. flagged vessels in compliance with the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (16 U.S.C. 1801 et seq.) and other applicable state and Federal conservation and management laws and regulations. 

The NOAA Seafood Inspection Program will also issue an “Annex IV” document for the export of fisheries products harvested in a country other than the United States transported through the United States which are destined for the European Union.  In this scenario, the EU requires such products be accompanied by a catch document issued by the Competent Authority of the country of origin or vessel-flag and the Annex IV issued by the United States.

For more information:

Frequently Asked Questions about the new requirement for an EU catch document *NEW*

Catch Certificate agreed to by the EU and U.S. *NEW* (view only)

Procedures to request EU Export Health Certificates and Catch Documents

Exclusions from the EU IUU Regulation

EU Regulation 1005/2008

Implementing Measures (EU IUU Regulation 1010/2009)

"Click image to enlarge

Certificate Requests

Contact the nearest Inspection Office to request a certificate.