- Program Services
- Approved Establishments
- Offices & Staff
- Export Certification
- International Services
The NOAA Seafood Inspection Program offers the same services it offers domestically to U.S. and non-U.S. firms operating overseas or processing in foreign countries. The range of international services includes:
- Training on the principles of auditing, HACCP, or sensory analysis;
- On-site implementation and verification of HACCP-based process controls; and,
- Third party verification activities for foreign processors.
The Program also offers export certification services to attest to health of products intended for human consumption from the U.S. to customers abroad.
International Services for Foreign Processors
Foreign suppliers and U.S. importers must now comply with FDA's HACCP regulations for fish and fishery products in order to import products into the U.S. Foreign producers are responsible for product specifications, process controls (HACCP), training, and sanitary practices. Importers in the U.S. are responsible for verifying that these requirements have been met.
The Seafood Inspection Program offers inspection service in any location to assist industry in meeting U.S. regulations and requirements. Establishments under NOAA inspection in foreign locations are eligible to be designated as approved establishments. Details for these services, including program costs, are available upon request and can be tailored to your particular needs. Email inquiries to NMFS.Seafood.Services@noaa.gov.
Service Restrictions and Costs for Service in Foreign Countries
Services can be provided if there are no travel restrictions to your country imposed by the U.S. Department of State, following our required notification of the planned visit.
Certain official stamps and marks available for use on U.S.-produced products are currently not available for use on foreign-produced products.
Charges are based upon hourly fees which are publicly available. Travel costs are extra. All estimated costs must be paid in advance by bank transfer, certified check, or money order (made payable to USDC/NOAA), charged to Master Card or VISA, or secured with a bond from a U.S. bank. Refunds will be issued for any overpayments.
U.S. Department of Commerce/NOAA Fisheries • 1315 East West Highway • Silver Spring, MD 20910 • Phone (301) 427-8300 • Toll Free (800) 422-2750
- NOAA Inspection Manual
- Inspection & Analytical Services Fees
- Consumer Tips
- Certificate Validation
- "An informed society that has confidence in the seafood that they purchase, sell and consume today and in the future."
- To ensure the safety and quality as well as enhance the marketability and sustainability of seafood products for the benefit of the American consumer by providing science based inspection services to the seafood industry.